August 5, 2011 1 Comment
“EASY STEPS TO MAKE ME LOSE ALL THE INTEREST IN A TENNIS TOURMANENT – A QUICK GUIDE”
Written by Pete S. Liguori
1. Andy Roddick.
2. Robin Soderling
3. Remove items 1 and 2 off the draw.
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Yanina Wickmayer
6. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
7. Set the following match-ups: 4 vs. Serena Williams (3rd Round), 5 vs. Caroline Wozniacki (2nd Round), 6 vs. Hantuchova/Dulko, Azarenka (2nd/3rd round).
So far, the Rogers Cup fits perfectly.
The following links will redirect you to the catastrophic Toronto/Montreal draws. Quick considerations to follow.
- Djokovic vs. Federer again in the same half of the draw. I wonder of the tennis world will collapse in case this match-up starst being only eligible in finals.
- Montreal had so many withdrawals it now looks like the Bercy Masters. Or maybe not – since the tops usually also don’t take part in the last Masters of the season.
- Djokovic is likely to play Davydenko in the second round. Del Potro, who made his only Masters final up to date at the Rogers Cup, might play the world #1 in the third round. Gael Monfils is the seed placed in Nole’s quarter, but he could have John Isner before the quarterfinals. Tough draw.
- In the lower quarter of the upper half, Gasquet and Florian will meet in the first round. Bellucci MUST beat Golubev (who the hell loses to him these days anyway?); Federer and Almagro are the highest seeds in this section. I doubt Almagro will reach the QFs. As for Federer, he has Tsonga – who beat him in Montreal/09 and Wimbledon this year – on his way. Third round.
- Lower quarter, bottom half. Nadal is placed there, just like Berdych. Haas vs. Tipsarevic – luck keeps failing Tommy; Fernando Verdasco could be Rafa’s fourth round opponent, and I’m already laughing – you should too; Gilles Simon – who put a run in Hamburg – is Berdych’s biggest challenge before the quarterfinals. Or maybe not – he will play Dolgopolov or Chovka in the second round. The way things are going, I can see Berdych losing to Dolgo, yes, rather easily, even.
- The remaining quarter – or the tasty first-rounders quarter. (8) Fish vs. Lopez/Stepanek, Gulbis/Ferrero vs. Youzhny/Llodra, Wawa/Nalbandian, winner taking on Murray in the third round. Even with Fish owning Murray recently (their H2H favors Mardy, no?), and Ernie, David, playing the wildcard, darkhorse, mad dog role, I’m still skeptical about a surprise here.
Should I take a round up with the girls? No. Definitely not. At least not now, not on this post. Will be back later. But don’t expect to see me here again today.